University of Leeds, 2017 – 2020
- Thesis: Ecomasculinities and the Old West in U.S Fiction, 1970- Present
- Supervisor: Dr Hamilton Carroll
MLitt Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture
University of St Andrews, 2016
- Dissertation: Music and Graphic Narratives (Distinction)
- Supervisor: Dr Emma Sutton
BA (Hons) English, First Class
Staffordshire University, 2012
- Dissertation: European Postmodernism in the Novels of Umberto Eco (First Class)
- Supervisor: Dr Douglas Field
Freelance Writer and Editor
Self Employed, 2014-Present
- Freelance journalism
- Copywriting for websites and businesses
English Teacher (TESOL) and Lecturer in International Business
Changsha College of Civil Affairs, 2013-2014
- Prepared and delivered 2-hour oral English workshops for students of Tourism and Hospitality
- Prepared and delivered lectures for an ‘English Speaking Countries’ module in the School of International Business
- Set and marked tests and examinations
- Tutored a select group of students for a national English Speaking competition
- Organised an English Film Club in collaboration with colleagues.
English Teacher (TESOL)
Jinghuayuan School, 2013-2013
- Taught classes at an English summer school for 14-15 year olds.
- Delivered welcome address and closing remarks on behalf of foreign teachers to over 500 staff and students.
Advertising and Marketing Assistant
Gallery Loft Conversions, 2012-2013
- Organised local advertising campaigns on the radio and in print
- Put together “loft information packs” for use at the annual loft show in Cardiff
- Gathered client testimonials for use on the website and in promotional materials
- Designed and commissioned the production of leaflets and posters
- General office duties
Proof-reader and Indexer
Henson Editorial Services and North Staffordshire Press, 2010-2011
- Proof-reading and indexing academic texts (sports science, sociology)
- Used specialist software such as Textract and Kudu
- Completed “Introduction to Publishing” course
- ‘The Musicalization of Graphic Narratives and P. Craig Russell’s Graphic Novel Operas, The Magic Flute and Salomé.’ Studies in Comics. 8.1 (2017): 7-28. DOI: 10.1386/stic.8.1.7_1
- ‘The Greening of Postmodern Discourse in Margaret Atwood’s Oryx and Crake and Graham Swift’s Waterland’. Margaret Atwood Studies. 10 (2016): 4-19. DOI: 10.17613/M6RV5G
- ‘’Man is the Measure’: The Individual and the Tribe in Modernist Representations of the Primitive.’ Postgraduate English. 32.1 (2016): 1-22. DOI: 10.17613/M6MT7N
- ‘Gender Blending and Psychic Phenomena: Forming Ecomasculinites in Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow.’ Stefan Brandt and Rubén Cenamor (eds.) Ecomasculinities in Real and Fictional North-America: The Flourishing of New Men. US: Lexington Books. (Forthcoming).
- ‘Review of God and the Green Divide: Religious Environmentalism in Black and White by Amanda J. Baugh.’ Journal of American Culture. (Forthcoming).
- ‘Review of HBO’s Deadwood‘ Middle West Review. (Forthcoming).
- ‘Review of Sovereignty and Superheroes.’ ImageTexT. 9.3 (2018): n.p.
Selected Blogs & Media
“Old West, Now” Podcast, 2017-Present
- Academic podcast discussing the old west in modern and contemporary culture
- Interviewing academics about their research
- Bridging academic and popular discourse through social media
- Using Soundcloud, Audacity (sound editing), WordPress, and Social Media
- Twitter: @OldWestNow
“A Hermit’s Progress” Blog & YouTube Channel (from 2015), 2013-2016
- Book Review Blog
- Worked with publishers including Oxford University Press, Bloomsbury, and New York Review Books
- Experience using Youtube, WordPress, and Sony Vegas (video editing software)
- Voted one of Book Riot’s “22 Favourite Bookish Youtubers” in 2016 https://bookriot.com/2016/03/07/favorite-bookish-youtubers/
- I am a peer reviewer for the journal, ImageTexT.
Networks & Memberships
- International Scholars of the Western Network
- American Culture Association (ACA)
- British Association for American Studies (BAAS)
- British Association for Contemporary Literary Studies (BACLS)